6th Grade Science Course Calendar
Unit: Nature of Science
Week of 8/12 - 8/17
M - What is Science?
hw: Print, Read, and Sign Course Expectations (Click back, see documents)
T - Scientific Experiments
hw: Print, Read, and Sign Course Expectations (Click back, see documents)
Complete Information Sheet
Read Lab Safety, Complete Reverse Side
W - Lab: What Affects the Swing of a Pendulum? (pt 1)
Th - Pendulum Lab, pt 2
F - Measurement: Imperial System vs. SI
hw: Pendulum Lab due
Week of 8/20 - 8/24
M - Measurement: Imperial System vs. SI
T Dimensional Analysis
hw: Finish DA WS
Answers (you must show work!): 1.) 2500cg 2.) .00372L 3.) .042m 4.) 380cm 5.) 7kL 6.) 56.5km 7.) 42kg 8.) 81.9qts 9.) 14mi 10.)1.1gal BONUS) Gleitz $$ if you can do it.
W - Measurement: Imperial System vs. SI
hw: Write the directions to make a marshmallow fluff and jelly sandwich in a step-by-step format. I may use your directions to try to make a sandwich in class, so write them as clearly and completely as possible. For the demonstration, I will have a butter knife, a paper plate, a loaf of sliced white bread, a jar of marshmallow Fluff, and a jar of grape jelly out on the table. The object of this assignment is to illustrate the importance of clear, specific writing.
Th MMFJ / Sci Procedures Demo
F Health Screening/ Setup online textbook
hw: Access online textbook [mySCS > Connect Ed > Earth Science Text > eBook (top right corner)]
Read p10-16. Take one paper page of notes in preparation for
(see Grading Tips page)
Week of 8/27 - 8/31
M Knowledge Check / Measuring Distance in SI Lab / Discuss
hw: Redo Pendulum Lab
T Wrap Up Distance Lab, Start DA Part II (WS here)
Hw: Using the SI System Worksheet (study this for quiz Fri)
W Dimensional Analysis Part II
Youtube Tutorial #2 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsTg1CeWchc)
hw: Finish Dimensional Analysis Thinksheet Part II; #1-15 are not mandatory (practice) but
#16-20 is collected as a grade (here)
Th Mass Lab
hw: Study Using SI System Worksheet for Quiz; Finish Mass Lab Q
F SI (Metric) System Quiz / Mythbusters
Sci Method (https://dai.ly/x5xpdxn)
Hw: Purely optional for G$: bring in some Diet Coke or Mentos
Week of 9/3 9/7
M No School
T Volume Lab
W Volume Lab
Simpsons Thinksheet (collected Thurs) / Finish
volume lab (collected Thurs)
EC Crossword (here collected Fri)
Make sure notes complete (except for graphing)
Skim Review Game Q (here)
Th Finish Notes (graphing) / Note Check / Review Game
F Unit 1 Test
Unit: Matter and Energy
Week of 9/10 9/14
M Note Check from Intro Unit / Start Notes Matter and NRG
T Phet Building Atoms Activity
W Phet Building Atoms / Discuss DC-M
hw: Subatomic Particles Worksheet
Th - Compounds, Mixtures, and Properties of Matter
hw: Read p 73-75, prepare for Knowledge Check (on Tue)
Week of 9/17 -9/21
M Thermite: Chemical Reactions and Energy Transfer in Action
T KC p73-75 / Notes Energy
W- States of Matter
hw: Essays 1, 2, 3 (skip #4) (here); Prep for Note Check and Review Game
1. Do not use 2 sheets if both essays fit on 2 sides of one sheet. Your essays are probably too long if you need a second sheet, but if you do, attach it with a staple please. Type if you wish.
2. If you think you're ready to respond early to Essays 3 and 4, go ahead, but they are graded as a seperate assignment so please use a separate sheet and turn them in when they're due.
Th- Note Check, Review Game (questions here)
hw: Study for Test; Crossword here (17 down: heterogeneous; 13 down: homogeneous; 36 across alloy)
F - TEST - Matter and Energy
Unit: Astronomy Earths Place in the Solar System and Universe
Week of 9/24 9/28
M Intro to Astronomy: Powers of Ten Video (here) and Pale Blue
Dot by Carl Sagan Video (here)
T- Earth in Space
hw: Read p 775-778 (up to Phases of the Moon).
W - Earth's Motions / KC p775-778
hw: Essay 1-3
1. Describe our place in the universe, starting on Earth.
2. Describe the relationship between Earths motions and the way we measure time.
3. Explain what causes the seasons.
Each essay should contain the following:
(1) Thesis statement
(2) Evidence/facts from notes/textbook
(3) Examples and/or quantitative details
(4) Grammar/ proper transitions
(5) Diagrams help! (optional but suggested)
F - Video: Spaceship Earth
hw: Dress for 20 minutes of solar radiation during Shadow Lab; finish essays above if needed
Week of 10/1 10/5
M Solar Radiation Lab
hw: Read 778-780 (review, few notes needed); Read 781-783
T Moon Phases / Tides Pinwheel; KC / Eclipses
hw: Essay 1-2
1. Draw 8 simple diagrams showing the phases of the moon. Along with the phase name, label the sun, moon, and Earth in each of the diagrams (using S, M, and E). Do NOT try to put all 8 phases in a single diagram.
2. Explain why we only see one side of the moon.
W Tides Notes; Eclipse Video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRgua7xceDA);
Tides Video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RdkXs8BibE)
hw: Essay 3-4
3. Explain what causes solar and lunar eclipses, both total and partial. Use a labeled diagram to aid (not substitute for) your explanation.
4. Explain what causes spring and neap tide. Use a labeled diagram to aid (but not substitute for) your explanation.
Th Guest Speaker from NASA, Dr. Ed Rosenthal!
hw: Work on EC Crossword for Earths Motions (here)
F - Lunar Formation Theories
hw: Essay 4b-5.
4b.(Started in class) Write down the date when the moon is at full, new, first quarter and last quarter this month. Look up the tide charts for those dates. State the difference in depths you see and explain why.
5. Describe the currently accepted lunar origin theory, and explain the evidence that supports it (see notes and p774).
Week of 10-8 10/13
M Review moon feature vocab / Work on tide wheel
hw: Prep for Note check (see documents for PPT if needed) / Note what is collected tomorrow.
T - Note Check and Review Game (https://play.kahoot.it/#/?quizId=928dd6fe-92bd-44dd-af72-65f7f8bdaaac)
(Collected: Shadows Lab, Tide
Wheel, Moon Essays, Earths Motions Crossword)
hw: Study for Test / Complete Moon XWord (here)
Unit: Solar System
Th Exploring the Solar System
prezi view link p9 (One person from each table with a google account will be given edit access)
prezi view link p8
Each team adds one interesting fact
NASA Solar System Explorer (here)
hw: Read p 804-810, take notes for Knowledge Check
F The Universe - Inner Planets Video
hw: Put a pair of earbuds/headphones in your backpack ($1 at Dollar Tree; Due by 10/22 for grade)
Week of 10-15 10/19
M KC 804-810 / Introduction to the Solar System / Inner
T Inner Planets Notes
hw: Read 811 815, takes notes for KC
W SS Lab Outdoors
Th SS Lab Outdoors
hw: Essay 1-2:
1. Name and explain the process that makes Venus hotter than Mercury.
2. Why are the atmospheres of Earth and Venus so much thicker than those of Mars and Mercury?
Read p 811-815, take notes for Knowledge Check
Week of 10/22 10/26
M Jupiter/ Saturn
homework: Finish SS Lab (if needed); Headphones due (See note from Fri 10/12); Essay 3-4:
3. Compare the inner planets as a group to the outer planets.
4. What causes annual meteor showers?
T - Uranus, Neptune, and the Kuiper Belt
homework: Read p 816-819, take notes for Knowledge Check
W KC / Minor Members of the Solar System/ Nebular Hypothesis
homework: Read p 796-799 (up to Modeling the Solar System), take notes for Knowledge Check
Th KC / Video: Outer Planets (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdiDFxZZrJ4)
F- Video Universe: How the Solar System Was Made (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Universe_(TV_series))
homework: Essay 5: Describe the Modern Nebular Hypothesis, and describe the evidence that supports it.
Prep for Review Game
Week of 10/29 - 11/2
M- Review Game
See documents for perfect example
If your parents allow download Star Chart on your phone and another device and bring it in.
T Solar System Test
hw: Read Read p 830-836, prepare for KC (Done tonight so no hw Halloween)
Unit The Sun and Stars
Th The Sun Notes
hw: Read p847-851 (Notes all) for KC / Please bring in tablet with Star Chart App for Extra Credit
F KC / Brightness of Stars
hw: Read/ Notes p837-846 for KC/ Please bring in tablet with Star Chart App for Extra Credit
Week of 11/5 - 11/9
Crash Course Astronomy #26
Start Stellar Evolution Notes
Hw: Essay 1-2:
1. Describe how energy is created in the sun, and how it moves through the suns interior.
2. Explain what will happen to the sun from the time it begins to run out of hydrogen until it reaches its final stage. Be sure to name any stages it will evolve through.
T Virtual Telescope Lab Day 1
World Wide Telescope for Desktop Computers (here)
W Virtual Telescope Lab Day 2
Things to See and Guiding Questions (here)
Th Finish Types of Stars Notes / Neutron Stars Video (here)
Hw: Finish VT Lab Questions
F- Video The Universe Life & Death of Stars (https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1mc1us )
Hw: Finish to Q#15 if needed
Week of 11/12 - 11/16
M Life of Stars Notes
Hw: Essays 3-4:
3. How does the life cycle of large stars differ from that of small stars? At least 3 significant differences should be discussed.
4. Explain how spectroscopes are used to determine the composition of stars. (Re-read p834-836)
T Black Hole Video: Crash Course Astronomy #33 (here) / HR Diagram Lab
Hw: Crossword (mandatory)
Across: 32. Starhopping; 34. Zodiac;
Down: 1. Pleiades; 10. Cepheid Variables; 13. Polaris
Make sure notes complete (see PPT under documents); ignore constellation blanks but include star brightness;
Finish Lab Q if needed
W Review Kahoot (here), Note Check
Th - Spectroscopy Lab (Phet here) (Electrocute Pickle!)
M- Constellation Lab (PPT list here)
T Constellation Lab